“For valve and transformer saturation, HotPhuzz is a highly recommended and functionally unique bargain – 9 out of 10” from Computer Music magazine, issue 206.
-Updated September 14, 2015-
Pick your terms: grit, sheen, dirt, mud, vintage, simple, phat, etc.
HotPhuzz is a saturation designer plugin. It is a creative tool that specializes in the creation of distinct saturation tones. HotPhuzz uses a multiband distortion process to create vintage, modern, and unique saturation effects. Although HotPhuzz can be pushed into over distortion, it excels at creating more moderate saturation sounds. You can call the sounds whatever terms you like, but it still sounds good.
Custom and blend-able saturation sounds
HotPhuzz contains several distinct saturation algorithms that can be blended to construct unique sounds. Version 1.0.4 adds the new Xenon (Xe) type. Saturation amounts can be altered using HotPhuzz’s multiband construction. This allows for the creation of effects that heavily saturate the bass frequencies, while leaving the high frequencies unaltered. Conversely, HotPhuzz can add saturation to the higher frequencies without altering the bass. HotPhuzz also simulates the overdriven “memory effect” of many tubes and transformers by the use of a dynamic timing control.
HotPhuzz is designed for all mixing and mastering stages. It can be used on individual tracks, or on two-track busses or masters. In addition to the saturation controls, HotPhuzz also includes many standard LVC-Audio controls. This includes stereo wideness, balance control, mix control, and adjustable input and output metering. HotPhuzz also has selectable 2x, 4x, or 8x oversampling for the highest fidelity. Quickly find and create new sounds with the random button. Version 1.0.4 adds an intelligent random control that only randomizes the saturation settings: leaving the gain structure the same.
If you like PhreePhuzz, you will love HotPhuzz. HotPhuzz faithfully recreates the original four PhreePhuzz saturation modes, while providing more user controls such as the Drive control, selectable oversampling, and stereo features. Of course, all of the PhreePhuzz modes can be tweak and transformed using the include controls. HotPhuzz includes a total of 19 presets to get you started on your Phuzzy journey.
- Saturation creation tool with infinite combinations of saturation sounds
- Four distinct saturation algorithms with three extra modes for enabling even-order distortion (7 modes total)
- Blend control to mix between two separate saturation algorithms
- Multiband saturation design
- Stereo controls, including balance, stereo width, and mid/side processing option
- Adjustable output clipper with selectable routing configuration
- Selectable oversampling (linear phase 2x, 4x, and 8x oversampling)
- User-friendly graphical input and output metering with VU-style, PPM-style, and loudness meters
- New (version 1.0.4) undo/redo history, A/B comparison, and cross-platform preset management with import/export ability
System requirements and specifications
- Windows: VST, VST3, RTAS, and AAX plugin formats. HotPhuzz requires Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 machines with a processor that supports SSE2 (AMD or Intel processor from around 2004 or later)
- OSX: AU, VST, VST3, RTAS, and AAX formats. HotPhuzz requires OSX 10.5 or later, and an Intel Core2Duo processor (or better)
Download HotPhuzz and User Manual
A demo version of HotPhuzz can be downloaded by using the links below. The demo version of the plugin is fully functioning except for occasional bypassing of the plugin’s processing (approximately 1 time per minute, for 4 seconds). Before purchasing HotPhuzz, please download and test the demo version of the plugin to ensure that it works on your system and with your chosen DAW software. For any questions or problems with HotPhuzz, please use the Contact page or view the support forum hosted by KVR
HotPhuzz: OSX (1.0.5) AU, VST, VST3, RTAS, AAX
HotPhuzz: Windows (1.0.5) VST and VST3 32- and 64-bit
HotPhuzz is available for purchase at the price of $29.95 USD. To purchase HotPhuzz, visit the Purchase Page.
A special thanks to all of my beta testers. Their help has greatly shaped the look and sound of this plugin. An addition thanks goes to Dean (aka Nekro) for providing many of the presets.
Improved handling of plugin latency with Steinberg software (VST3 format is still not recommended with Wavelab)
New alternate settings for individual knobs (right-click or ctrl-shift click on knob to view)
Improved handling of saving and recalling settings, including recalling knob multi-configuration settings
Windows Installer now checks for presence of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2013 (see install.txt for further information)
Improved accuracy of VU text readout
Changed knobs to newer style
More informative About Box (click on the LVC-Audio logo)
General enhancements and improvements
- New A/B comparison and Copy feature
- New Undo/Redo History
- New cross-platform preset feature with import/export ability from text files and the clipboard
- New saturation mode – Xenon
- New intelligent Random Saturation button
- New support for RTAS and AAX on Windows
- Improvement for latency handling with VST3 formats
- General enhancements and improvements
- improved HQ oversampling
- update for compatibility with Pro Tools 11.2 (AAX)
- text entry fix for controls with negative-only values (e.g., typing “5” will automatically be recognized as -5)
- improve meter reset when clicking on the VU Text readout
- standardized meter ballistics across all plugins
- signed OSX installers
- fixed unnecessary fast fade-in when playback was stopped and started
- revised preset loading and saving function to “future-proof” loading older presets in new version of plugin
- New Timing control: wider control of timing feature
- Revised oversampling to reduce aliasing and CPU load
- AAX and RTAS plugin format for OSX (beta)
- Fixed font display issue (Windows and OSX) and text entry bug (OSX)
- Changed knob functionality for compliance with ProTools
- New installer for Windows
- Initial Release